Regular candles are made from paraffin, a petroleum by-product. Yep, they’re derived from crude oil. Lighting a candle in your house is akin to sitting in a car full of toxic fumes. Ok, maybe not quite so extreme, but still not something I’d do. Lit candles emit petro-chemicals into the air, and I don’t really want to be breathing that in. Our indoor air (and some of our outdoor air!) is contaminated enough without adding unncessary fossil fuels to the picture.
Another issue I have with regular candles is the synthetic fragrances that are often used. They can smell so pretty, but again, synthetic fragrances are derived from petroleum. They include benzene derivatives, aldehydes and other known toxins and carcinogens which have been linked to birth defects, central nervous system disorders and allergic reactions.
Finally, the core wick of regular candles is usually made from lead or zinc. I don’t need my house or lungs covered in lead. Thankfully it is illegal in Australia to sell lead wick candles, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t occur. I’m quite certain I would never use a cheap candle purchased from a discount store.
Soy candles and beeswax candles with cotton wicks are a safer alternative, with the added bonus being that they are renewable resources, unlike petroleum.
Image used under Creative Commons Licence