Five reasons I make my own toothpaste

Up until two or three years ago I was using regular toothpaste from the supermarket. The big brand. The popular one. I never thought too much about the ingredients list or that fact that it contains sodium fluoride (a by-product of aluminium production found in rat poisons and industrial pesticides), triclosan (a carcinogenic pesticide), sodium lauryl sulfate (another carcinogen), propylene glycol (an active component in anti-freeze which can lead to brain, liver and kidney abnormalities), DEA (a carcinogenic hormone disrupter) and a long list of other unpronouncables. I would stock up and buy in bulk when they went on special. I loved that minty freshness!

When I came into consciousness about toxic chemical loads on my body, I started experimenting with different brands and varieties of toothpaste from health food stores. The price difference to supermarket toothpaste was a killer, but I couldn’t knowingly go back to the nasty ingredients. I kept reading about homemade / DIY toothpastes and would tell myself, ‘when the next tube runs out I’ll make my own’, but I didn’t. Making your own toothpaste just seemed a bit too alternate. I already lived on a different planet to mainstream society, did I want to alienate myself even more?

In a word, yes. Not that I wanted to alienate myself further, but I decided homemade toothpaste wasn’t really that radical. This would be one step further into semi self-sufficiency and one more product I did not have to purchase. And so I trawled numerous blog posts and websites learning about what other crunchy nutters did and what recipes they used. Eventually I made my first batch! It contained equal parts coconut oil and bicarbonate soda (baking soda), a dash of himalayan rock salt, plus some drops of peppermint oil. That’s it! I mixed the ingredients together in a little glass jar and dipped my toothbrush in. The first time I brushed my teeth with it I was surprised and impressed – my teeth had never felt cleaner. I half expected Informed Papa to turn up his nose at it, but after his first use he exclaimed that it was ‘amazing’ and that he really liked it. Woohoo!

DIY Toothpaste

I’ve since made more batches, experimenting with quantities and ingredients as I work out the best formulation for my family. I now add xylitol, not for the sweetness but because xylitol helps prevent tooth decay and remineralise enamel.

Here are my top five reasons for making my own toothpaste:

1. I know the ingredients. They are safe, I can pronounce them and I know what role they play as ingredients and the potential impact they will have on my body. Coconut oil is antibacterial and antifungal. Bicarbonate soda is alkalising and acts as an abrasive. Himalayan salt contains 84 minerals, stops bad breath, draws out pathogens and kills bacteria. Pure peppermint oil has countless beneficial properties, but I mostly use it for the flavour and freshness. As I mentioned above, xylitol prevents decay and assists to remineralise.

2. It’s one less reason to go to a store. Long-time readers will know that I am on a mission to eradicate the need for supermarkets in my life.

3. It’s cheap and I’m frugal! I haven’t calculated the cost difference, but knowing what I pay for the individual ingredients, I can confidently say my homemade version is cheaper.

4. I prefer it to regular toothpaste. I find it works better and my teeth and gums feel cleaner.

5. If I run out I just need to go to my pantry to whip up a new batch!

**ETA – I’ve had a few enquiries about exact amounts for the recipe. I now use 4 parts xylitol, 4 parts coconut oil, 4 parts bicarb, 1 part Himilayan salt and however many drops of peppermint oil I feel it needs depending on the size of the batch. For a small tub like the one pictured I use approximately 10 drops doTERRA peppermint oil, but if you are using a non pure-grade oil you will need 40-50 drops. This toothpaste is the best, try it!

About informedmama

I'm an Aussie mum blogging about my parenting journey, toxic chemical-free living, healthful living, nutrition, food as medicine and my learnings as I head towards semi self-sufficiency.
This entry was posted in Cleaning, Homemade, Label Detective, Radical Homemaking, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Five reasons I make my own toothpaste

1. wartica says:

I agree ; making your own allows you to know exactly what you’re using:)

2. Jennifer says:

Wow!! This is really cool; making your own toothpaste. I read the chemical labels on every products that i use. But sometimes the companies don’t list every chemical ingredient and if they even do, you usually don’t know what effect they can have on your health.

3. I have just started making my own toothpaste after following a very similar path to yourself, and I too have to admit that my teeth & gums have never felt better. I recently went to the dentist for a check up and they didn’t even realise that I wasn’t using icky flouride toothpaste, in fact they commented on how healthy my gums were since my last visit 🙂

4. katesurfs says:

Oh! Just sent Art out to buy toothpaste!!!

5. Davoid says:

I have been using Miessence organic toothpaste (mint) for a few years (150g/$9) .
    It’s made of: aloe*, bicarb, xanthan gum, sea salt, spearmint oil*, peppermint oil*, stevia extract, cinnmon leaf oil*, and clove oil*.
    * = organic (56% of product).
    It lasts about a year for me (one person, brushing twice a day).

Your recipe is interesting, but I just restocked, d’oh! So I’ll have to file the recipe away.
    You are quite inventive.
    I make my own mouthwash in a plastic container (about 150ml) with hot water, 5-6 drops of peppermint oil, and about 1/16 teaspoon of bicarb. The bicarb works as a preservative, and a dispersant for the oil…I guess you could use Himalayan salt instead.

Thanks for the recipe.

6. Pingback: Toothpaste: do not swallow | Down to Earth Mother

7. Pingback: Homemade Lip Balms – Frankincense and Chocolate Mint (so delicious you’ll want to eat it!) | Informed Mama

8. katesurfs says:

I’m just about to make your toothpaste… I bought, all the stuff, except the xylitol. I only have found xylitol at one healthfood store. It’s selling for like $9 for a 200g container, or the kilo for like $26… is that a good price? Is there somewhere else we can get it for cheaper?

9. Pingback: How to Make Your Own Toothpaste | Katesurfs

10. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog?
    My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would definktely benefit from a lot of
    the information yyou present here. Please let me
    know if this okay with you. Thank you!

11. It’s really a great and helpful piece of info.

I’m satisfied that you just shared this useful info with us.
    Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

12. Pingback: Natural Toothpaste Update | Healthy Living Kenya

13. Marelize van der Merwe says:

Hi I love the idea of making my own toothpaste, I have started using bicarb with my toothpaste once a week but I would love to try your recipe. Is the bicarb not too abrasive? I’ve read that bicarb should not be used daily on teeth because it can damage and weaken the enamel over time and should only be used once a week?